Saturday, August 22, 2009

Relocation


Shifting the house! This activity sounds familiar to all of us. We move from one place to the other. Its more common here in Dubai where people tend to save those few Dirhams. With the house rents seemingly reducing, people look forward to move to different locations keeping in mind the time taken to travel to and fro their work places.

I had a similar session yesterday. Our landlady vacated her office that was located in the hall, in our apartment. We friends used to stay in the room. All we did was to move our stuff from the room to the hall which she made available for us. Today I am not able to sit and work in the office. Back, hands and legs are aching! I realize now, how my parents used to carry out this house-shifting activity earlier. The maximum we friends moved was our clothing, cots, couple of furniture etc. But when I recollect our shifting in Bangalore, Mysore and Mangalore, its a huge task to carry out, that my parents did. Everything from kitchen items, furniture, bedding, clothing etc., to vehicles, its a major task. They used to start packing things a week earlier in order to make sure they dispose the unwanted.

This is only half the job! Unpacking and arranging the stuff at the new place is another painstaking effort which they carry out. With much of patience and hard work they used to shift each and every necessary item, arrange them in order and dispose off the unwanted even after the shifting is done.

"I am dead tired because of this shifting" I told my mom.

She laughed, "Just moved from one room to the other, that too in the same apartment? Imagine how your Dad and me used to shift from one place to another, from one city to the other."

Hats off to them. They have done it for us. No wonder people say, once you are away from the family, every small thing that the family did for us will appear as a mountainous task. I completely agree. It makes sense.

No comments: