Sunday, August 16, 2009

Les Paul


Les Paul, this might ring some bells in the heads of those Guitar & Guitarists fans. Yes I am talking about the legend who invented the modern day solid-body electric guitar. He started to play the harmonica while he was eight and started playing banjo and moved on to cultivate great interest on guitars. Incidentally I learned that he is the inventor of the neck-holder for the harmonica that allows the player to play the harmonica as well as the guitar or any similar instrument. I used to watch these artists who play the guitar and the harmonica and also sing. Used to wonder who is this person who invented the neck-holder as it was beautifully planned equipment to support the player. Some used to sing too, apart from playing.

Les Paul died at the age of 94, on 13th of Aug 2009. Have been reading about him on different websites as well as on Wiki. In 1948, he met with a near-fatal accident and his doctors had a challenge in fixing his right arm. What a disaster!! They told him that once they fix his arm in one position, it would remain the same for the entire lifetime. He instructed the surgeons to at an angle that would allow play the guitar. He continued to play the guitar with this arm. Truly a legend.

The reason why I was caught by his personality is because, I used to play guitar (very minimal) while I was in Mysore. I used to go to Mr. Felix, who happens to be the band master in the Mysore Police Dept as well as the lead in St. Philomena's Church, one of the famous tourist attractions of India. He is a master in playing string instruments and piano. Gem of a person, talented to the core, he can play great notes after couple of pegs! I got flabbergasted when I saw him play the base cello and he didnt realize that we were a group of around 13-15 students enjoying his performance.

It was only when I started to learn how to play the guitar that I realized how difficult it is. I wonder how Joe Sitriani plays his guitar. His fingers are not that of humans!!! I tried to explore the notes and also created some base chords for a nursery rhyme! Mr. Felix was surprised with my inquisitiveness. Exams approached and I was barred from attending these classes and then I had to move on with my studies, never to get back to learning guitar.


I dont regret though. I enjoy listening to the legends play the great numbers and also frequently visit the live bands that play in Dubai to admire their talent. I make sure to befriend those lead and base guitarists. Names like Roy, Bogs, Adrian, Tom are familiar in my room as I keep talking about these guys who play in different clubs. I look forward to continue doing the same.

My tributes to Les Paul. May his soul rest in peace.

No comments: