Monday, August 17, 2009

Ignorant Co-workers


"I need a flyer for my product" says my colleague who wishes to promote his products for which he needs some flyers to be printed. This is no rocket science. Some images of the products, text explaining the product with technical specifications and its ready for print.

"I need the monogram of the company to be added" he says. I tried correcting him that it is the logo of the organization that he is referring to. But no, he wouldnt budge.

I sent him a project brief form to be filled up by him, so that I could have maximum information about the product, the USP, the technical details etc. He starts blabbering. I wonder how they work? What if there is a sales meeting and the clients ask questions that he is not able to answer? Its a pity!

"Just scan the sample flyers, add our logo and print it". I wonder whether they are aware of the process that goes into the making of the final print material. Hours of designing, scrutiny, image corrections, alignments, final artwork etc etc etc...I dont think he or any of his team members are aware of such a process. Most of them here think that its an easy process to plan and release Advertisements in news papers, print marketing materials, arrange exhibitions and other events, plan and execute outdoor campaigns etc. How in the world will someone explain them the roles & responsibilities of our department.

Curious enough to know, I once asked this colleague of mine, whether he knows something about brand positioning. The answer he gave shook me completely. From then on, I avoid such situations, so that I dont blow my fuse off. Buying enough time for the job to be completed, we execute the jobs within our office's four walls so that we do justice to our profiles. Nevertheless, even now, most of my colleagues think that we simply visit the office to carry out our profitless activities and rot.

What best describes these colleagues whom I am referring to? Ignorant, lacking knowledge of marketing & communication activites, unlearned, unknowledgeable. I dont know honestly. But need to move along with the flow. As they say, 'if you are not able to change the flow, go with it'. After a point, I should surely instigate change, but at this moment, I need to wait and watch.

Hhmmmpphhhh!!! God save these people.

No comments: