Sunday, August 16, 2009

Home


House, everyone of us have. But home?! Is it a home?! In a literal sense, house is a dwelling that serves as a living quarters. But what about home?! Its the environment that we create in the house we live in.

We have heard news flash stating that thousands of people going homeless. But they are able to survive in refugee camps, temporary arrangements like caravans etc. Can these be their homes? Nope. Home is where happiness and peace is. Once you live with a family, your loving ones caring for each other, the place acquires a serenity, an aura of joy and peace engulfs. We all would agree that we would like to be in such a place after a tiring day, to return and share those unique moments with the loved ones.

Living in Dubai for close to 2 years now, I have never come across such a situation. The reason, I stay with some friends. All I can find is a room full of noise, some stupid regional songs on the TV, one guy is busy chatting on his laptop or browsing for the action packed car races with blaring engines on Youtube, another is sleeping, this is the usual situation. Looks like an unmanaged and unmaintained room in one of those college hostels.

Recently I found a new way to escape this indoor fiesta! Cooking!!! I confine myself in the kitchen for close to an hour and a half. I try out my cooking skills and there has been a great development. Two-in-one; I get to eat home made food, I escape the commotion! Needless to say, I save those few Dirhams which goes to the restaurateur. I am able to avoid those nights when I suffer from heartburns and gulp Gelusil in the middle of the night and get back to sleep. I had never tried out my cooking skills in India. There was no situation to do so, delicacies prepared and served by Wife, Mom and Sister. I am also able to understand how they manage things in the kitchen, even after working and coming back home to start off the preparations for the next big day. Hats off to them.

Its relieving to know that I would stay like this only for couple of months more, in the midst of the 'indoor' fiesta. Once Sandhya (my other half) is here, I would move out of this place to re-invent the days we spent together in Bangalore. Waiting to experience HOME again.

Here I come 'Home Sweet Home'.

No comments: