Saturday, October 17, 2009

My plight with Dubai Taxis


Taxis in Dubai, a name that is dreaded by most of the passnegers. Few months ago, the situation was much different than what I am witnessing now-a-days. The drivers didnt seem to acknowledge the calls and requests of passengers, though large in number and would vroommmm away without performing their duties. Or they stop next to you, lock the doors from within and lower the window pane to ask where I would like to go, just ignore the drop off request and move on. Many a times I've almost felt the tyres on my feet. Or they would not bother to stop even if they are travelling empty. My calls to the toll free numbers to complain on such indecent behaviour has fallen on deaf ears of the authorities.

After a few months, now, with many of the expats back to their countries due to their loss of jobs in the UAE, taxi drivers are willing to take passengers, be it a short distance of couple of kilometers. Of course, with some revision on the rates by the authorities, its beneficial for them too.

The other day, I had to drop off my friend in one of the main streets in Bur Dubai and was on a call talking to another friend. In the span of around 10 mins, I could see numerous taxi drivers slowing down their vehicles near me to see if I needed their service. I think they have learnt a lesson. With the termination of drivers with improper behaviour and with the inclusion of new fleet and well trained drivers, things have changed a lot. Now-a-days, the waiting for a taxi hardly lasts for a few minutes whereas it was for hours earlier.

'More passengers and less accommodative taxi drivers' has changed to 'less passengers, well behaved taxi drivers and more vehicles'. Hats off to the authorities to take serious measures to see to it that policies are adhered to. I still remember days when I used to wait for the taxis during mid-day, with mercury levels as high as 45 deg C, my blood boiling with irritation and frustration I've walked to my workplace rather than grumbling and complaining about the system. Many a times I've picked up a fight with the taxi driver who bluntly ignored my requests. I found that its no use of increasing my blood pressure by talking to these guys and rather find my own solution to transport myself to the destination.

Its a relief today to see how the passengers are taken care of with neat interiors, car fragrances in all taxis etc. I remember those malls where people used to wait for a long time to get a taxi whereas now-a-days, taxis wait for the passengers for a long time. Situation has indeed changed a lot in this regard.

No comments: